With the COVID-19 virus ramping up its spread, many people are forced to stay at home. At the same time the world needs to keep being functioning. So, softwares and apps which allow groups to speak to one another, have become increasingly popular.
Zoom, a platform for video sharing, has become the go-to spot for schools, colleges and offices to get through the problems at hand. In the first half of March, 2020, as the outbreak of COVID-19 getting more severe worldwide, Zoom has become the most downloaded app in communication at the iOS store of US.
On March 13th 2020, Zoom Video Communication announced that they would remove the time limits from complementary accounts for users in regions affected by the outbreak and any limitations for public schools in Japan, Italy, and the U.S., with more countries being added.
Zoom is a cloud video conferencing application offering quality video, audio, and screen-sharing features. It's designed by zoom.us for both small businesses and large corporations.
Zoom now is available for both Android and iOS users. It can include 25 participating video streams, 10 or more hosts and 200 viewers or listeners. It enables participants far-away to join meetings conveniently which will enhance team collaboration.
Good news for those whose laptops or computers don't allow them to download apps: From now on Zoom offers a browser plug-in which enables users to join a Zoom meeting without having to download its app. So far the extension is available for Chrome and Firefox. More browsers, such as Opera and Edge, may also support the plug-in function.
- Send group text, images, and audio from your device
- Screen share photos, web and Google Drive, Dropbox or Box files directly from your device
- Give you control over how screen sharing can happen
- Easily invite phone, email or company contacts
- Join meetings as interactive participant or view-only webinar attendee
- Quickly start meetings by the given fixed link to your own meeting room
- Add conference call details quickly through the Google Calendar plugin
- Safe driving mode while on the road
- Connect with anyone on both mobile devices and desktops
- Make large-group video calling easy
- Supports lots of callers
- Invite participants with a link
- Sometimes unstable
- Hard to know who drops the call
How to use Zoom?
- To use Zoom, you have different alternatives: log in on their website, download the program for Mac or PC, or download the app for mobile devices.
- After download and installation, you need to create an account if you don't have one. You can create one very quickly by linking your Google or Facebook account, or you can create a new using your E-mail address.
- When all is set up, you will be asked to enter the Meeting ID or Personal Link Name that should have been given to you. Enter this, you are in connection with up to 100 people.
Microsoft has responded to appeals from its users who want to see more than just four participants on the screen, and has now promised to support up to nine people simultaneously. By the end of April, we can see nine participants on the screen simultaneously.
In order to provide better service, Teams updated several new features for both Android and iOS users:
- The ability to turn on live captions during a group call or meeting
- The option to add music when PSTN callers are on hold
- Support for vibration and tone alerts for incoming calls received while in the middle of another callMicrosoft Teams is a popular tool that helps companies improve communication and collaboration between employees. It has gained increasing popularity in the past few weeks due to the self-quarantine caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. At the time of writing this review, Teams has reached the 44 million user milestone.
It is already announced that by the end of April 2020, users of Skype and Teams would be able to communicate with each other. Previously, many users were reluctant to switch to Teams due to the lack of this feature.
- Easily manage your team’s projects with file editing and sharing on the go
- Connect face-to-face with HD audio and video, and join meetings from almost anywhere
- Chat privately or in groups, and communicate with the entire team in dedicated channels
- Mention individual team members, or the whole team at once, to get your colleagues’ attention
- Focus on what matters most by saving important conversations and customizing your notifications
- Get the enterprise-level security and compliance you expect from Office 365
- Highly customizable
- Integrated with other Microsoft Office apps
- Plentiful integration options
- Only convenient to use in a Microsoft-centric environment
- Compartmentalized design gives an air of formality and rule-following that may inhibit open dialogue
- Art & Design
- Auto & Vehicles
- Books & Reference
- Food & Drink
- Health & Fitness
- House & Home
- Libraries & Demo
- Maps & Navigation
- Music & Audio
- News & Magazines
- Travel & Local
- Video Players & Editors